Lifestyle Session Tips & Tricks
It is almost time for your newborn session. I know you are getting excited and even a little anxious.
Here are some helpful tips to make sure our time together goes smoothly.
Please be sure to follow the tips as closely as you can and I am always here to answer any questions you may have!
What do I wear?
For parents, I suggest colors that coordinate, but not match. With your sweet little baby being the focus of the session, neutral colors tend to work best, steering away from logo’d t-shirts or bold patterns. Casual clothing is perfect and bare feet look most natural in a home setting. Mom’s, consider a beautiful maxi dress or a pretty cotton gown that will be both comfortable and oh-so-sweet while you are cuddling with your new baby. When we do some of the snuggling parent images, you may wish to have a tight fitting onesie or a cute diaper cover for baby. Newborns are so small it is often very difficult to photograph them in cute outfits as they are usually swimming in them, and just tend to look silly. I will bring several neutral colored baby wraps that showcase just how tiny your little one is!
What else do we need to have prepared for an in-home session?
- Please do not worry about the state of your house! You just had a baby. I do not care if dishes are piled up in the sink and clothes baskets runneth over!
- Swaddle your little one in just a diaper and a warm blanket until I arrive. If baby’s skin is a little dry or flaky, try applying a small bit of baby lotion to those spots the day before our session. But don’t worry if it doesn’t go away completely…Photoshop does wonders on red, flaky, bumpy newborn skin!
- Since I will be photographing your baby in the nursery for a portion of the session, be sure all the curtains and shades are fully open to let in lots of natural light. I also love to photograph baby with mom and dad in their bed, on the couch, anywhere comfy and snuggly. No need to clean, but just try and make sure any table clutter has found its way to a closet in these particular rooms.
- Prior to our session, try and keep the baby awake and stimulated as much as possible. You can give baby a bath, play for awhile, and try to feed him/her about the time I am due to arrive. A full belly makes for a sleepy baby!
- After the baby is full, make sure they are burped really well. Gas can take a sleepy, happy baby to an uncomfortable and irritable one in seconds.
- Be prepared for me to be at your home for about 2 hours.
- Be patient. If the baby gets fussy or alert, don’t worry. A baby can sense your anxiety and we want to keep the environment as mellow as possible. I will try and get the baby comfortable again, but if that just doesn’t seem possible, we’ll take a break or we’ll work with what their giving us. Sometimes the best pictures are ones when baby isn’t necessarily doing what we want.
- And MOST importantly, the only job you have while we are together is to RELAX. I want this to be a time where you can soak in that new baby smell, cuddle with your loved ones, and be "in the moment."
Payment is due on or before the day of your session. You can pay your session fee by the clicking on the link below:
If you have any questions prior to our time together, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com
Looking forward to see you soon,